Mobile gantries are extremely useful pieces of lifting equipment with a range of uses across many industrial environments. Here at Cranes Direct, we manufacture our own range of mobile cranes, using the best quality steel available. Please read on to find out exactly what workplace mobile gantries are, and how they can be beneficial.
What are workplace mobile gantries?
Also known as A frame gantries or A frame cranes, this lifting medium is a great replacement to permanently fixed structures, as it can perform lifting and lowering tasks across industrial environments due to its mobility.
A frame cranes are similar to overhead cranes, in the sense that both consist of a horizontal beam in which the load is suspended from. However, the support for mobile cranes comes from the frames on either side of the beam, which form the letter “A”.
One of our workplace mobile gantries in action
Here at Cranes Direct, we produce our own portable gantries using the best quality steel. We manufacture these gantries to suit your specific lifting and lowering needs; our gantries have safe working loads (SWLs) ranging from 500kg to 5000kg, and we can include a range of other crane accessories. If you want to find out more about our range of lifting gantries, you can do so below. Alternatively, see the other types of cranes sold by Cranes Direct here.
Benefits of using mobile gantries
A frame gantries bring many benefits to industrial environments, and are therefore a popular alternative to bigger and permanently fixed structures. Listed below are some of their various benefits:
- Portability – perhaps the biggest benefit of a frame gantries is their mobility. They are relatively light structures and have wheels attached, and so can perform lifting and lowering tasks around the workplace. This is a massive benefit over bigger and permanently fixed structures such as jib cranes, whereby lifting and lowering tasks can only be performed in the immediate vicinity of the crane itself.
- Frequent use - another benefit of their portability means they will often be used more as they can perform tasks around the workplace. As a result, the return on investment is often greater than fixed cranes
- Strength – our A frame gantries are strong pieces of equipment due to the high quality steel used in their production. As a result, we stock gantries with SWLs ranging from 500kg to 5000kg, and so we are sure we will be able to find a gantry to suit your lifting and lowering needs, whether that be for light lifting or heavy duty lifting
- Ability to transport and store – because mobile cranes are designed to be used in multiple locations around one site or between sites, they can be assembled and disassembled with ease. Because they can be taken down, they can be stored when they are not being used, helping to free up more space in the workplace
- No surveying needed – unlike jib cranes or overhead cranes, where the building’s structure or foundations need to be assessed, there is no surveying when it comes to mobile gantry cranes, as they are not fixed to the building itself
- Additional devices – we can fit many additional crane accessories to your mobile gantry to help make your lifting and lowering task easier. These accessories include, but are not limited to, electric hoists, lifting magnets and chain blocks
This is one of our most popular products
Using mobile gantries safely
Gantry cranes are extremely useful pieces of equipment, but as is the case with any lifting operation, one must follow proper practice to ensure both the equipment and the warehouse operatives are safe. Cranes Direct have compiled their expert knowledge into this guide, titled Safe use of Mobile Gantries, which covers everything you need to know regarding using gantries safely as work. Please also refer to The Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations 1998 (LOLER) for more information regarding the safe use of lifting equipment in the workplace.
Our range of workplace mobile gantries
Here at Cranes Direct, we manufacture gantry cranes with SWLs ranging from 500kg to 5000kg, all of which are produced using high quality steel. These gantry cranes come in sizes up to 4.5 meters high and with spans of up to 5 meters. Our cranes also have optional extras which include catenaries, festoons, knock-out boxes and parking jacks (customers commonly add parking jacks to each leg; this is advised as it makes lifting and lowering tasks safer). If you want to find out more about out range of mobile cranes, you can do so here.
We also stock aluminium gantry cranes; a lighter alternative to mobile gantries which are also fully adjustable. Find out more about our range of aluminium gantry cranes here.
If you want to find out more about our mobile cranes, and how they can benefit your lifting operations, then don’t hesitate to get in touch with our team here. We also offer crane servicing and repairs, and will even install your crane if you wish.